The program incorporates and emphasizes Midwifery, community health, management and leadership. midwives are trained to look after a pregnant women and her baby throughout a phase of antenatal care, during labor and birth and for up to 28 days after the baby has been born.
Curriculum Guiding Training of Learners
The students are trained using Competency based education curriculum that helps students to acquire 70% practical and 30% theory.Competencies are developed in critical areas such as Foundation of nursing, Microbiology, Human Anatomy and Physiology, Socio-Psychology, Primary Health Care, Information Communication Technology (ICT), Entrepreneurship, First Aid, Research Method, guidance & Counseling, medical nursing, surgical nursing, palliative care, mental health, pediatrics pharmacology, personal and communal health, midwifery, gynecology, reproductive health, community health, occupational health, health services management and applied research. Assignments, Practical work, directed self-study, active learning and attachments are used to build student’s competencies.
Expected Learning Outcome of the program.
At the end of the course, the Enrolled Midwife should be able to:-
- Maintain both mother and babies health throughout pregnacy.
- Identify the patients' physical, psychological and sociological illnesses .
- Display professional knowledge, skills and attitudes in patient care.
- Maintain interpersonal relationship with co-workers and the community.
- Work independently and safely in the ward/community.